View Single Post
Old 05-14-2004, 09:47 PM   #5
RockyMtnRay
TrailManor Master

Default Re:"Smooth Talker" cellphone amplifier reviewed by TrailerLife

[quote author=dcrdark link=board=1;threadid=1762;start=msg13599#msg13599 date=1084582299]
Ray
Thanks for the information. We live in VA near the Blue Ridge Mountains. It's beautiful, but nothing compared to the Rockies. I'm thinking of using the Smooth Talker at our house, we live in a low spot and even though we have a tower about 5 to 10 miles away, we get poor coverage, about one maybe two bars. Would like to be able to use the cell phones more than we are now. I was wondering if I should go with the shorter or the longer antenna? Would you have any thoughts about this?
[/quote]
From what I've read, you'll probably do better with the short 2 inch antenna, counter-intuitive as that sounds...but put it in as high a place as you can (maybe even up on some sort of mast). The long antennae (like the 26) apparently are most effective in very flat places where the horizon is very distant. The differences have to do with the radiation pattern of the antenna in combination with how closely the antenna equals one half of the wavelength of the desired signal. 2 inches is a very close match for half the wavelength of the 1900 Mhz digital carrier (at least for my CDMA phoned...it may not be for your phone if it is a GSM or TDMA type). You might want to give the folks at Mobile Communications Technology a call or email (they're the relatively small Canadian company that makes the Smoothtalker) to see which of their antennae would be best for your phone and your geographical location....their phone # is 1-877-726-3444 (a toll call I think).

Quote:
Sorry for calling you the wrong name, I thought Rocky would be your nickname.
Again, My Apologies.
Dave
No problem and really no apology needed...several folks on various other forums have also mistakenly thought the base name in my nom-de-web is "Rocky" instead of "Ray". I just felt I should clarify things since we do have a forum member who does go by "Rocky" (IIRC, his membername is EPICSDUDE). For some reason, it's invariably been someone who lives in an East Coast state who's assumed I go by Rocky so I've concluded it must be one of those East-West things...here in the West "RockyMtn" is readily recognized as a place/geograhical atttribute and hardly anyone is named "Rocky"; apparently in the East "Rocky" is a more common nickname.
RockyMtnRay is offline   Reply With Quote