View Single Post
Old 06-02-2012, 06:29 PM   #2
grakin

I grew up in that area.

If the younger kid has excess energy and everyone can walk a couple miles, there's a trail around the base of Devil's Tower that is a relatively easy walk (paved and all). There's a longer one that is a bit more challenging. Just remember you are at altitude if you aren't used to that. There is also a large praire dog town just past the enterance to the park that people enjoy.

You might like Bear Country USA - a bit commercialized (as is much of the Black Hills), but can be fun.

There used to be helicopter tours that left from Keystone near Rushmore - if that's your type of thing you might look it up.

For adults (I think 18 is old enough, but I could be wrong), Deadwood has gambling. There's also some old-west theme stuff in that area.

Near Rapid, there's Cosmos, which has a bunch of participatory-illusions that make gravity appear to do weird things.

There's also the Homestake gold mine near Lead, SD.

And there are a couple of caves in the black hills that are set up for tourists to have guided tours.

Forn a bit less touristy, I always liked hiking up Harney Peak. I can't remember how difficult the trail was, but someone in decent health can probably make it fine - lots of kids and such. It's the "tallest peak east of the Rockies" and has a fire lookout tower on top that you can take in the view from.

There is lots of touristy stuff to do, and lots of stuff that the tourist groups in that area will promote - so you shouldn't have too much problems figuring out what to do. Bring plenty of sunscreen and expect afternoon thunderstorms.