Thread: 2720 questions
View Single Post
Old 04-01-2017, 06:41 PM   #4
Bill
Site Team

Location: The mountains of Scottsdale, AZ, and the beaches of Maine

Larry -

First of all, what is your tow vehicle? If you have a really big vehicle, like an F-250, you won't ever need a WDH. If you have a medium vehicle, such as an Explorer you will probably need one, but you can tow your new trailer home without a WDH as long as you are slow and careful, don't tow in rain or snow, and don't plan on going more than a few hundred miles. If you have a smaller vehicle, you will need a WDH right up front.

Next, Trailmanors are designed not to sway. This is done by moving the axle back as far as possible, whioch is the same sway control technique that big trucks use. Of course, as you move the axle back, the hitch weight increases, and as the hitch weight increases, you have more need for a WDH. So there is a tradeoff, as you can see. Bottom line is that most trailers can put only about 10% of their total weight on the hitch (10% is the universally-accepted minimum), while Trailmanor puts about 14% on the hitch.

In terms of practical experience, I got my first TM in 2001. My wife and I put on a lot of TM miles every year. We have been through every conceivable road event that normally produces sway - trucks and buses speeding past, sudden sideways wind, emergency maneuvers, pavement beginnings and ends, idiots cutting in front, and so forth. No hint of sway. We have also had quite a number of blowouts over the years. Again, total control, never a hint of sway. The TM approach works for us, and many members have reported the same thing.

My conclusion is that you probably will need a WDH (unless you have a big vehicle), but you won't need sway control.

You can spend a lot of money on a WDH, or you can spend much less and get pretty much the same performance. My recommendation is that you get a simple trunnion-style WDH, rated 600-800 pounds, from any of the big makers -Reese, Draw-Tite, Curt, Hidden Hitch, etc. If you are unconvinced about sway, get one with what are called dual-cam bars. These allow you to add sway control later if decide you need it.

The springbars on a WDH will almost always fit a trailer with a swing hitch. I say "almost", because in the more-than-15 years that this forum has existed, we have had only 2 or 3 reports of springbar brackets that interfere with the hinge on swing hitch. I wish I knew how to determine in advance if a problem will exist, but I don't. Perhaps others can help.

Finally, because you are new to the Forum, I will suggest that you check out the Trail Manor Technical Reference Library. It is actually titled Trail Manor Information You Won't Find Anywhere Else, and it is right at the top of the first page. There are several good articles on determining if you need a WDH, choosing a WDH, adjusting a WDH, sway control, and the like. It is worth rummaging through the library.

Welcome aboard.

Bill
Bill is offline   Reply With Quote