Thread: Proper Hitching
View Single Post
Old 02-04-2012, 07:01 AM   #5
Mr. Adventure
TrailManor Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by PopBeavers View Post
The factory installed safety cables on my TM are so long that even if crossed it will not prevent the TM tongue from dragging on the ground.

My son watched me connect my ATV trailer, with safety chains, and I did what I had always done when the chains were too long. Just twist them until they are shorter. He says that is a bad idea and then gave me a rather technical explanation as to why. I really don't understand his explanation, but I agree with him. It cost me $50,000 for him to know that. He has a degree in mechanical engineering.
The reason we need tow chains is to keep the trailer attached to the vehicle when the trailer comes loose from the hitch mechanism (usually due to failing to put the tongue on the hitch ball and making sure it's latched). Google "trailer accident" and you'll see hundreds of stories, many involving fatalities.

The reason you cross the chains is so that they don't bind or drag when you turn. My education was probably expensive enough, but I don't remember anybody ever telling me not to twist tow chains. Possibly, it could make them kink under load or something like that which could hypothetically make them weaker. Much more likely to make them weaker, IMO, is allowing them drag on the pavement. I DO know that the point of failure for tow chains is very likely to be the last link, the one they welded to the frame (my son taught me this one time when he borrowed my utility trailer).
Prodigy brake controller.

"It's not how fast you can go, it's how fast you can stop an RV that counts."
Mr. Adventure is offline   Reply With Quote