View Single Post
Old 11-14-2010, 09:52 PM   #2
Wavery
TrailManor Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by brulaz View Post
Ed at Trailmanor persuaded me to haul my Elkmont 24 down to a dealer to have my roof fixed under warranty. Once I got it to Ohio a couple of weeks ago, they decided to transport it and fix it at the factory, and we just picked it up yesterday on our way to Florida.

As my leaks occurred in the vicinity of the door, where there was a depression in the roof, they first took off the Awning and the plastic strips. Then they put down some sheet Al (or plastic? I haven't had a chance to get a close look) that goes from one side of the trailer to the other. This covers the panel seam that crosses the trailer there, and extends forward almost 2 feet. It's a big panel and appears to be well sealed to the roof. The original depression in the roof is covered by it and appears to be gone.

Ed tells me the caulk/sealant they now use is 3M's new 760 (I think), one of the new "hybrid" polyurethane sealants. It is totally different from the original silicone and the silicone I used to try to repair the leaks and seems much more secure. They also used a lot more of the stuff.

We'll see. They leak-tested the roof thoroughly, but only time and much driving and shaking will tell. I'm optimistic though. The roof "looks" really good.

The factory also replaced some interior trim that was going bad because of the water, gave me a new axle, wheel and tires ('cause of some odd tire wear I was getting), and washed all the bugs off. With the new style alloy wheels and clean exterior, we hardly recognized it!

We were obviously very happy with all they did, and Ed, in particular, was a pleasure to deal with.
Sure am glad to hear that TM is trying to get on top of this water leaking issue.

The axle issue is a little disturbing. Is it a 5K# axle?