View Single Post
Old 06-18-2018, 09:38 AM   #9
Bill
Site Team

Location: The mountains of Scottsdale, AZ, and the beaches of Maine

Larry -

Thanks for restating the conclusion shown in the TrailManor Technical Library at
http://www.trailmanorowners.com/foru...ead.php?t=2616
as well as many sites on the internet.

Any weight applied behind the tow vehicle's rear axle adds load on the rear suspension, and takes weight off the front wheels. Most of the tow vehicle's braking and all of the steering are performed by the vehicle's front wheels, and the tow vehicle was designed to operate properly with a certain amount of weight on the front wheels. Decreasing that weight is a bad idea, especially when you are trying to steer and control a trailer. If anything, you should add a small amount of weight to the front, not subtract from it. Air shocks or helper springs lift the rear body of the tow vehicle, but do nothing to replace the missing weight on the front wheels, or reduce the added weight on the rear suspension.

Although my F-150, and my Explorers before it, had plenty of weight capacity and tow rating, I use a WDH because the handling gets just a bit squirrelly without it, and it makes me uncomfortable. I've been in a few emergency situations, and the last thing I want is unpredictable handling.

The choice is yours, but ...

Bill
Bill is offline   Reply With Quote