View Single Post
Old 04-24-2013, 12:50 PM   #6
FujiPedaler

Wink Here's another story.

So, we are on our first extended trip from Minnesota to New Mexico and Utah.

We are doing just fine untill we stop in to Ute Lake State Park New Mexico, just over the eastern border.

Really nice state park and eletectric and water for $18.00 per night. Temp is about 87, so we start the process of set up and get to the final leveling and I just am not getting it right and I am hot. I decide to pull over to another more level spot (lots to choose from). Did I mention the 25 plus mph cross winds all day across Oklahoma and Texas panhandle.

As I start the set I look north and the entire horizon is dark and moving rapidly toward us. I get it level and almost done and the storm hits us so we jump inside.

The dust storm hits with wind gust well over 50mph. DW is putting towels and tape everyware to stem the dust from getting in. The trailmanor is shaking violently from side to side and up and down, as we wonderred if we were going to servive.

The next morning my wife discovers that I had left the diver's window open on our 4Runner so now the inside gray color is rust red. Only took about an hour to vacum up most of the dust that sticks to everything.

The Ranger told us that the storm was worse than any storm during the "Dust Bowl" and they haven't had any rain for 3 years.

We washed the sheets and pillow cases today and continued to mop up from the dust.
FujiPedaler is offline   Reply With Quote