View Single Post
Old 12-05-2004, 11:41 PM   #6
Denny_A
Former TM Owner

Default TM Weights, etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MountainCamper
My goal is/was to try to simply the mistique around the delivered-to-the-dealer TM weights. To this, as Wind suggested, the owner-supplied goody (interior & exterior) weights can be added.
Delivered weight will be 300 -400 + lbs greater than the TM specs page lists. F'rinstance; a 2005 2720 SL - @ 2865 lbs (w/o options), will likely weigh between 3165 and 3265+ lbs delivered. The more options...etc. A 3124KB will likely be 3090 + 300-400 lbs; and so it goes.

Quote:
No one should be put into the position of buying a TM and then find out after the fact that their TV doesn't cut it, and then have go out and buy a new TV just to keep the new TM. For the owners that do end up buying a new TV also, from an enginerring perspective, that purchase just shouldn't be a suprise.
Regarding weighing, below is a quick and dirty summary.

A. Tongue and axle weight combined weighing is useful when getting aquainted with the vehicle. The 2005 2720 SL should not exceed 2865 + 1210 = 4075 lbs. fully loaded (per specs). It's good to have a reality check on how much stuff can ACTUALLY be carried.

B. However, the axle or tire limit should not be exceeded either. So measuring the force on the tires, with the tongue freely supported off the scale is also very useful. The axle limit for earlier models of the 2720 is 3500 lbs. Tire load limit is 1860 each, for a total of 3720 lbs. TM use fully loaded trailer tongue weight as 14.7% of trailer weight. So, if the trailer weighs 4075 lbs, the tongue will weigh 4075 x .147 = 600 lbs. Axle load will be 4075 - 600 lbs = 3475 lbs. Within limit for axle and 245 lbs under the tire load limit.

C. When the (a) WDH is connected properly, 1/3 of the tongue weight will be redristributed to each of the three axles. Obviously, using the 600 lb tongue weight example above, the trailer would see 200 lbs additional down force on the axle. Same trailer is then registering 3675 lbs (or so) at the tire to road contact. Tire limit is stiil ok, but the axle isn't - or is it?

This is where TM adds a bit of a "twist in the math". Since the axle supports the trailer, but NOT the wheel assemblies, then it follows (per TM) that the wheel assembly weight of 200 lbs (2 wheels) may be subtracted from the total weight of the trailer as seen BY the AXLE. That is if the scale reads 3700 lbs at tire contact, one may subtract 200 lbs. to arrive at axle load. The info, regarding "twist in math" came from corespondence and a conversation between the TM engineer and me.

Loose ends: I am not sure of axle limits on 2005 models, especially the 3023 and on up to the 3124KS, since they have 15", D rated Goodyear tires. I think others have said 5000 lb axle limit and 2050 lb tire limit. If so, the tires are (would be) the primary limiting condition.

Most owners who have towed their TM for awhile would recommend enough excess towing cpacity to handle any towing situation w/out breaking into a nervous sweat whilst towing (like a minimum of 25-35% excess towing capacity for the MVW of the trailer you own).

Don't know if this was a proper response to your original question, but I hope it is useful.

Denny_A