View Single Post
Old 05-21-2013, 12:41 PM   #3
Stone859

Thanks "Brulaz" for your post, and your help. I've been reading yours and other posts on this site and they're a great help. I guess I'm wondering...do all Elkmont 24's have this seam in front? Also, I've been looking at closely and I think now that aluminum that as far back under the seam there is aluminum...not two joints just butted up against each other. I think this will make bonding the pieces together much easier. I contacted Ed L. at TM and this is what he said:

"Good morning,

This appears to be a adhesive trim over the seam of a aluminum metal overlay in that area. The metal that is coming up can be cleaned between the two parts with mineral spirits as best you can and then add clear silicone adhesive and then weighted down over night. You then can clean the seam area and install a new trim strip. I can send this strip to you.

You ca also use a contact cement but it can harder to install.

If your leaks does not stop, check your lights to make sure they are sealed.

Hope this helps."

I'm going to have Ed send me the trim strips, and I will some type of Silicone under the aluminum then apply weight...it should hold. Then apply the trim strip. I had also thought that maybe along with silicone underneath you could use some small rivets, and then put something like "Eternabond" over the seam. Actually that would probably work better then the system they have now, but I think for now I will keep as stock as I can. Really the Silicone should hold pretty tight if I clean it well. By the way...what do you use to clean it? Ed says use Mineral Spirits (turpentine), but won't that leave an oily residue? Wouldn't it be better, after cleaning with the Spirits, to use alcohol, or acetone?

Thanks