View Single Post
Old 07-15-2023, 02:24 AM   #16
kimpalmer11

Default Thetford AquaMax Not Working? Can't Get AquaKem?

We have used Thetford AquaKem (with formaldehyde) in our ElectraMagic 80 recirculating toilet in our Trailmanor (1999 2720QS) for 8 years with never any disagreeable odor from the waste.

However, when we got to the beach campground last week, I discovered we had run out of Thetford AquaKem. I went to the local Huntington Beach Walmart where I found no Thetford AquaKem, only Thetford AquaMax which has no formaldehyde. (I later discovered in 2022 California banned all formaldehyde from all RV holding tank treatments. I assume AquaMax is Thetford's formaldehyde-free replacement for AquaKem.)

Back at the trailer, I added enough water to charge the toilet, poured in the 8 oz. bottle of AquaMax and ran the flush mechanism for several seconds to make sure the chemical was well mixed with the water. However, after just 6 hours, whenever the toilet lid was lifted, an overwhelming stench of a ripe outhouse immediately enveloped the bathroom and the trailer. (The daytime temps were only in the upper 60s and lower 70s). Something was horribly wrong!

In the next three days we went through four bottles of AquaMax trying to find a combination that would allow us to use our toilet without the devastating stench whenever we lifted the toilet lid. No success with any combination.

In frustration, I made a trip back to the Huntington Beach Walmart and found (among several other choices), a holding tank/recirculating toilet product made by the Walex company called PortaPak, and bought a box (Lavender Scent). Back at the trailer, I dumped the toilet, filled it to Full with clean water, dumped it again, filled it a second time to Full with clean water, and dumped it again, hoping any remnant of stench was now gone. I added enough water to charge the toilet, dropped in a packet of the PortaPak powder, and pushed the Flush button for 20 seconds. All hint of stench was completely gone, and stayed gone for the next two days until the toilet had finally reached Full and needed to be dumped. However, even after two days there was still no stench when we lifted the lid. Woohoo!

But, I discovered my wife is not a fan of lavender, so I went back and bought another bag of the Walex PortaPak, this time in the Fresh Scent. We have continued to use it for the last four days of our vacation, and are completely satisfied: no hint of outhouse smell whenever the toilet lid is lifted, only a little bit of the very pleasant Fresh Scent smell.

Bottom line is that if others out there are also no longer able to get Thetford AquaKem (with formaldehyde), and Thetford's AquaMax doesn't seem to be working for you, consider trying Walex PortaPak in your Trailmanor's Thetford recirculating toilet. It has worked well for us!

By the way, no, I don’t work for the Walex Company, just a satisfied user, glad to be camping in our Trailmanor!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0891 (1).jpg
Views:	87
Size:	3.51 MB
ID:	22340  
kimpalmer11 is offline   Reply With Quote