Thread: Roof slope?
View Single Post
Old 05-14-2017, 06:39 AM   #17
Pele2048

Quote:
Originally Posted by br2_wdc View Post
If you did purchase this unit, you are much braver then me; I spent 2 months going through this site, getting as much information as I could before I even started looking!
Yeah, I only found this site after I was looking at the unit.

I HAD been looking at canvas based popups (Coleman, Fleetwood, etc.) for a few years and sitting on the fence about even buying one due to mold/mildew concerns and some models having the tendency for the roof to delaminate.

I also wanted A/C AND an indoor shower, which is difficult to find in a popup.
But I wanted a sub 3500 lb trailer and I didn't want a full-size travel trailer parked in the driveway.

Quote:
I wish I had better news, but from the pictures that is not a trivial issue. It appears that something heavy somehow dropped down on the roof. It looks like there is structural damage to the roof itself, and I am not sure it can be repaired at all, let alone easily. Also, any sort of drips from that center channel is not ideal, but with some patience and hard work they can be fixed; many articles here on the site can walk you through it.
I don't see any creases in the interior aluminum skin or cracks in the outer vinyl skin. I feel I should be able to repair it.

I'm an experienced DIYer. I've stripped my entire kitchen down to studs, rewired it (Replaced aluminum wiring with copper), replumbed it (copper), drywalled, tiled, cabinets and granite countertops... I've done electrical panel replacements and framework within my houses as well.

I'm also an experienced mechanic. I've rebuilt engines and transmissions, done suspension and brake work. My day job is an Electrical Engineer.

Quote:
Did you purchase directly from the previous owner or an RV dealer? What did they say about the roof issues? Also, did you go through the pre-purchase checklist available on this site where you check all the major systems: gas furnace, fridge, stove, bathroom, and hot water heater?
Yes, all the systems worked. Original Norcold fridge runs in all three modes, Water heater has been replaced and fires up. Stove and oven light up and burn clean. Bathroom works as far as water flowing... I didn't drop a deuce in the toilet or anything, but I filled it with water and let it flow with the flush button.

Quote:
One last thing I noticed is you are still a "trial" member, so if the purchase of this TM is a "done deal", then you MUST send $12 to become a full member on this site; you do not have access to everything you need to tackle any of these issues until you become a full member.
Done! $12 a year is reasonable.
Pele2048 is offline   Reply With Quote