View Single Post
Old 03-25-2010, 11:54 AM   #4
Bill
Site Team

Location: The mountains of Scottsdale, AZ, and the beaches of Maine

Quote:
... he can get a 7-year warranty. But it is not clear as to what this warranty covers, whether there's a deductible, who is underwriting the warranty (who pays the bills), or what is required to file a claim. So before I would ever be able to form an opinion as to the value of that warranty, I would need alot more info.
Exactly right. Before you even think about forking over the cash, you need to have a firm understanding in your mind (and on paper!) about the answer to specific questions, such as ...

Suppose that the refrigerator fails during the fifth year of ownership. This is well outside the TM warranty period, and well outside Dometic or Norcold's warranty period. If this happens, who pays, and how much? Is the value of the refrig prorated downward on the basis of age? Since a refrigerator failure is likely to be catastrophic, does the coverage include complete replacement with a brand-new unit?

One other question is worth asking. Is the warranty transferable to a new owner? Seven years is a long time - you might not own this specific trailer for that long. If the warranty is transferable, it would help the resale value.

Incidentally, GoodSam has a warranty called Extended Service Protection (ESP) or something similar. I have not owned it, so I have no idea whether it is good or how much it costs. But you might look into it for comparison purposes. You can get a quote on line.
http://www.goodsamclub.com/benefits-...-warranty.aspx

Let us know what you find - this is interesting.

Bill
Bill is offline   Reply With Quote