View Single Post
Old 02-10-2016, 07:58 AM   #23
fourteener

I happen to be one of those proud federal employees of the U.S. Department of Interior, National Park Service (NPS). It is truly a wonderful job, but I have to take a minute to provide some details. The NPS currently manages 409 (soon to be 410) units including over 84 million acres, which includes National Parks, National Monuments, National Battlefields, National Historic Sites, National Recreation Areas, and a few other designations (www.nps.gov). A few of the ones that you wouldn't necessarily think about include some of the parks in our Nation's Capital like East Potomac Golf Course, the National Mall, and the White House. A couple of our newest include Valles Caldera National Reserve, and the 3-units that comprise the Manhattan Project National Park.

I just had to jump in, because if you are only looking at 47 or 48, you are simply missing over 350 of America's Best Idea (the title of the must see Ken Burns PBS special that tells the NPS's story). With 2016 being the Centennial year for the NPS, please go visit a Park that is new to you and be sure to add it to your list, or as our centennial campaign states - Find Your Park!

Please don't ask me which is my favorite, because I've only made it to 92 of them so far, and I would be lying if I acted like I knew, as they all hold a special place in our American History.

I hope you all get the opportunity to enjoy, relax, and absorb Your National Parks!

As a side note: Our rangers think TM's are pretty sweet rigs!
2008 Toyota 4Runner
Upgrades - Lift Kit with 15" Tires/Rims/Spare & Rack,
Mud Flaps, Blue Tote Caddy, WDH Bar Holders,
Custom Outside/Chassis-mounted Tool Box,
Stove Cover, Bathroom Tension Self,
Outside Speakers, Fresh H2O Deck Plate,
100 Watt Portable Solar Panel, Shower Mod,
Over-wall TV mount - - (The fun never ends :-)
fourteener is offline   Reply With Quote