Thread: Elkmont mpg
View Single Post
Old 02-16-2010, 12:42 PM   #31
Wavery
TrailManor Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by brulaz View Post
Well, we just purchased a used 2009 Tacoma 4x4 TRD-Sport with the tow package.

And, after all our fussing about keeping things small, one look at the smaller Access cab changed everything. Too cramped the wife said. So we ended up with a Double Cab four door.

It's just as long as a full-size pickup (141"), but not as wide or as heavy, and so a little easier to maneuver as a second (non-towing) vehicle. But it won't fit in the underground garage; we'll have to park it outside. The other thing I'm not sure about is the electric blue paint job.

Anyway, I've started collecting mileage data and will post back here with the info with and without the Elkmont after we make the trip to Texas to pick up the trailer.

Many thanks to all for the advice here.
Just be aware.....you may be past "border-line" with that 2009 Tacoma 4x4.

These are the figures that come up on Cars.com
http://www.cars.com/go/search/detail...e&aff=national

Curb weight 4,100 lbs.
GVWR 5,450 lbs.
Payload 1,350 lbs.
Towing capacity 3,500 lbs.
GCWR 8,100 lbs

Of course, the tow pkg may add some to the "Towing Capacity" but you might want to check your actual GCWR (Gross Combined Weight Rating). That is the total weight that the vehicle is rated for including totally loaded TV and trailer (incl passengers, cargo and fuel).

@ 8100# that doesn't leave a lot of weight for trailer cargo & passengers after you subtract the GVWR of 5450# (most people, camping, usually load the vehicle up pretty good and that # includes the trailer tongue weight).

8100 - 5450= 2650# for your fully loaded trailer. I hope that your actual GCWR is closer to 11,000# but I doubt it. I would be very cautious towing an Elkmont in the mountains with that TV. If that 8100# GCWR is correct, you may have a real problem on long down-hill grades.

Towing is a lot more about stopping than it is about pulling. Pulling slow may take a little longer but not being able to stop could be deadly.