View Single Post
Old 01-11-2006, 12:07 PM   #6
Jim-NY

Again, not a lawyer, but I read this to say you must have no more than 10 inch extensions on EACH side ...therefore not exceeding the width of vehicle plus 20 inches between outside edges of mirrors AND if this takes you beyond the 102 inch maximum vehicle width, that is OK.

As a State Park Manager my concern was always with campers who did not remove extended mirrors after they unhook the trailer. It is too common for pedestrians or bicyclists to get clipped by a mirror because the driver forgets they are there and passes to close on a narrow road such as those in often found in parks. It's been a while since I managed a camping park, but I think it was either NYS Motor Vehicle or NYS Parks Law that mandated such removal.

If I understand the previous comments, it sounds like some of you swerve a little so you can see what is following you. Maybe it's because I drive too fast to begin with, but it has never occurred to me to worry that much about what is behind me. I try to be real careful changing lanes though, and I could see where someone might come up quickly behind me then go into a lane I was about to move into. I am leaving this weekend for FL, I will have to try the small swerve technique. If nothing else it might scare folks behind me into submission.

Jim