View Single Post
Old 08-13-2010, 06:55 PM   #56
Wavery
TrailManor Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by cochise View Post
Ok.. I may sound stupid, but here is the definition I got:

"The GAWR is the maximum weight each axle is designed to carry safely. It includes the entire weight of the vehicle, occupants, cargo, trailer tongue weight and so forth, but now distributed between front and rear axles".

TM states that the Elkmont has a GAWR of 3619 lbs. The manufacturer states that the MAX capacity of the axle is 3500 lbs.

The GVWR is defined as: "It’s how much weight a vehicle is designed to carry. The GVWR includes the net weight of the vehicle, plus the weight of passengers, fuel, cargo and any additional accessories. The GVWR is a safety standard used to prevent overloading".

The GVWR is stated by TM as 4230 lbs, which I basically don't have a problem with.

My problem is: How can the stated GVWR be 119 lbs OVER what the axle manufacturer rates the axle at, which is MAX 3500 lbs?
As explained previously, the axle does not "Carry" the axle, tires & wheels.

Think of it this way........If a Joe can lift 200# of weight above his head. It is said, "Joe can lift 200#"........ That does not include Joe's weight.....We'll just call the axle, tires & wheels "Joe"....