View Single Post
Old 11-29-2005, 09:42 PM   #8
Paul_Heuvelhorst

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockyMtnRay
Paul,

While I totally agree with most of your analysis, there is one rather large error in your math. Specifically, when batteries are connected in series (as is done with a pair of 6 volt T-105s) , the total amp hours of the pair won't exceed the total amp-hours of the lowest capacity battery since all the current has to flow through both...and when the lowest capacity battery is exhausted, the total voltage drops very rapidly.
Ray is absolutely correct... my error was trying to correlate Tony's use of 2-6 volt batteries while we used 2-12 volt batteries on our TM as well as our present trailer. 2-12 volt batteries give more amp/hrs than 2-6 volt connected in series. My mistake.

Being frugal with the battery useage (2-12's in parallel), we were able to get 6 days on our TM while on the No. CA coast, but we ran out of propane for cooking (our first trip). Didn't have the right tools to disconnect the propane tanks for refilling, so headed home a day early.

Tony, there are several good ideas offered here... you just need to consider your own style of camping and go with the solution that fits your needs. Just remember, if you want to use your A/C, you'll need the generator (2-3,000 watt). Solar will not help you with the A/C.