View Single Post
Old 11-29-2005, 06:54 PM   #7
PopBeavers

I have a 2005 2720. I do not have solar.

If it is just my wife and I we can go for 4 days without charging the batteries (2 group 24 12 volt batteries). I have used the furnace twice, in April and again in November. The rest of the year the furnace is not needed in California. I believe that the 2005 models have more florescent lights than the older models do.

I have the Honda 2000 generator. If our kids are with us I take the generator and toss a pint of gasoline in the tank every day or two and let it run until it dies.

The generator was just under a thousand dollars. A pint of gas costs about 30 cents.

So I have essentially a setup that has a fixed up front cost of 1,000.00 plus 30 cents per day.

A solar system has a daily cost of zero, but I am not sure what the up front cost of a solar system would be that could fully recharge my batteries when parked in the shade. Probably more than the cost of the generator.

I think the generator is cheaper. The solar panels are greener. I have pretty much given up on the idea of solar panels.

If the price of gas gets so high that I can no longer afford to run the generator then I certainly will not be able to afford gas for the TV.

The Honda 2000 is very quiet. I also will purchase a second one if I ever need to run the a/c. However, I have been able to run the a/c on a single Honda 2000. I'm just not sure it is good for the generator or the a/c, but it will start and run from the generator power when everything else is off.