View Single Post
Old 06-05-2012, 06:42 AM   #2
brulaz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redhawk View Post
Hey Bruce, when you did the fix on your furnace, how much sheet meal work was involved? Can you give an estimate on any materials I may need?

My Elk is in a storage lot, so I'd like to be prepared when I go to work on it. Thanks in advance.
I purchased a small furnace vent (use metal, it gets hot) and mounted it vertically under the pullout bed. IIRC the vent was positioned so only a single cut on the front plate of the furnace was necessary to accommodate it. Metal duct tape was used to seal it all together.
EDIT: Maybe not, perhaps two cuts, removing a piece down the middle, was necessary.

The flexible side vent to the bathroom was replaced with smooth-side Aluminum dryer duct and insulated. Leave space for more batteries if that's in the future.

A new large return vent was mounted low on the bedroom partition.
Misc. screws will be needed.

Think that's about it. Not much really.

You will need some wood cutting tools, but IIRC a sharp knife is all I used to cut through the thin plywood and fabric. I removed the front furnace plate and did that cutting in my workshop. You could probably do it with a hack saw if it was clamped somehow (or maybe even tin snips, I don't recall).

EDIT: and while you are in there, make sure the furnace is securely mounted. Ours was just forced in place and not screwed down.