View Single Post
Old 11-12-2002, 09:11 AM   #18
Bill
Site Team

Location: The mountains of Scottsdale, AZ, and the beaches of Maine
Default Re: TrailManor refrigerator concern

OK, re Thermoelectric (T-E) coolers, it looks like I have caused some confusion, and I regret that. Let me sum it up, and then back out of the topic altogether.

1. A T-E cooler operates on 12 VDC. Period.

2. Like all refrigerators, a T-E cooler requires a fair amount of power. If you just plug it into a fully charged TM battery, it will use half the battery capacity in about 6 hours. For longer periods than that, you should have an outside source of power to run the cooler and recharge the battery.

3. If you have AC power available, this is a great source of outside power to handle the situation.
a) You can plug the AC power into the TM, and let the trailer's converter recharge the TM battery and run the cooler.
b) Or, if your T-E cooler has an AC adapter (usually optional at extra cost), you can plug the adapter into AC and run the cooler from that.

4. If you don't have AC power available, an equally good source of outside power is the tow vehicle.
a) You can plug the tow vehicle into the TM for a while and let it recharge the TM battery and run the T-E cooler.
b) Or, you can plug the T-E cooler directly into the tow vehicle's accessory power (cigarette lighter) outlet.
Of course, in either case the tow vehicle engine must be running, so taking the cooler along on a day's outing is a good way to keep the cooler cold, and also to have a supply of cold drinks and sandwiches with you as you explore.

5. If you are dry camping for an extended period, and don't want to run the tow vehicle at any time, the T-E cooler will not actively cool your food and drinks. It is still a good, well-insulated passive cooler. Use blue ice.

Last summer we ran a T-E cooler for 10 days straight, WITH access to AC power each day. It worked great. Then we ran the T-E cooler for 10 days straight, WITHOUT access to AC power, using method 4b. It also worked great. Then we did another 10 days WITH AC again. You use what you have.

Hope this clears up any confusion.

Bill
Bill is offline   Reply With Quote