View Single Post
Old 11-06-2002, 07:39 AM   #8
DancinCampers

Default Re: Refilling 1lb LP cylinders.....

Hi all,

I have been re-filling my small cylinders for about 15 years with out any problems.  I use them for my propane torch attachment & in the wintertime I use a small catalytic heater in my den.

I have only had one bottle leak after filling.  The bottles use a schrader valve, similar to the ones in tires.  I just screwed on my torch attachment, which has an additional cork gasket.  When the bottle was used up I threw it away.

I cool the bottles in the freezer before filling, & the large bottle I use must be upside down when filling, so that you are transferring liquid & not gas.

I'm pretty sure that if you left the large bottle upside down overnight, then the small bottle would fill almost completely, since the liquid will seek the lowest point, like water does.  But I would not recommend this since you would then be filling the smaller bottle above the 80 percent level.

After filling I always check for leaks with soapy water, & don't store them in direct sunlight or hot places.

I haven't had to re-fill any lately, so don't know if the newer bottles with OPD will work, but since they have a float inside, my intuition is that with the bottle inverterd the float would rise, & allow refilling until it fell to a level which would close the valve.

My thoughts only.

Dan