View Single Post
Old 04-28-2007, 11:31 AM   #9
wmtire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill View Post
A torque wrench is a great idea. But last time I had to change a tire, I found that the yahoo with the air wrench at the tire shop had put the nuts on so tightly that I had trouble getting them off. By using a big solid cross wrench and having my wife stand on one arm while I lifted the opposite one, we managed to break them loose. Otherwise we would have been stuck. Unless your torque wrench has a long handle, or a breaker-bar extension (and it sounds like Steve's is really husky), you might consider carrying a cross wrench tucked away somewhere, just in case.

And I can confiorm Steve's statement that 13/16 inch is the proper size.

Bill
Yes. Unfortunately, there are many tire "Yahoos" that don't properly torque lug nuts, especially on trailers. This is a result of not being properly trained. I see it all the time in my profession.

It is imperative to torque wheels correctly, especially on disc brake applications, as previousely stated. We religiously use Torque Sticks (see link below) on our impact wrenches. It solves the overtorquing problem. They are a little pricey for the regular joe to probably keep in his tool assortment. I'm really just passing the info on for education purposes for TM owners buying tires. Make sure you have your tire technician torque your wheels properly........and don't buy your tires/wheels from correctly labeled "yahoos".

http://buy1.snapon.com/catalog/item....re&dir=catalog