View Single Post
Old 04-08-2012, 11:44 AM   #8
brulaz

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCBillandJane View Post
I noticed that you have a 4x4 for a tow vehicle. In Canyonlands there is a gravel road that goes from the top down to the Colorado River and Moab. I was determined 2 years ago that I would get down to the Colorado river somehow someway. Hiking down in the Grand Canyon is no longer possible for me, so I said I will have to drive down and not waste this opportunity while we were at Canyonlands. This drive was one that I will never forget. If I could have turned aroud, I would have. Still, now that I did it without damage, I am glad I did it. For someone from the east it was an eye opener.
Canyonlands N.P. also has some pure rock 4x4 trails, but I think you would want a shorter wheelbase Jeep or equivalent. When we hiked part of one, there were auto bits and pieces all over the trail. And lots of boulder scrapes. Sort of reminded me of a difficult kayak/canoe route.

IIRC nearby Moab, UT is famous for it's 4x4 and X-country bike routes. I think they also had a nice brew pub and coffee shops .