View Single Post
Old 07-16-2005, 06:02 AM   #8
Bill
Site Team

Location: The mountains of Scottsdale, AZ, and the beaches of Maine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry_Loo
How about mounting a large air scoop high up in the front of the upper shell? Such a scoop could be opened when towing on a dusty road. The air being rammed into the trailer would create positive pressure inside of it and minimize the amount of roadway dust entering through the seals and other openings.
Larry - that's kind of what I was envisioning as I mulled over the problem. It is probably not very practical. First, if it is raining, it would scoop in rain as well as air. Second, if you are driving slowly (as you might be on a dirt road), it won't ram very well, but the bellows effect that Ray mentioned will still be working. I suppose, though, that the open ram-scoop would at partially defeat the bellows by not allowing suction to build up inside the trailer.

I'm still thinking in terms of a powered vent, but Ray is right. Reversing the Fantastic Fan motor won't work since the opening is on the downwind side of the fan lid, and a vacuum would exist there.

I do recall travelling a horribly dusty road with our 2002 TM when it was new. The cabinet areas, particularly on the stove side, ended up with a ton of dust in them - and this was good Arizona Red Dirt dust, the kind that instantly turns to concrete with the addition of any water (such as a wet paper towel!) That was when I discovered that the caulking around the wheel well liners had failed. I scraped out the orignal caulking material and recaulked, and it helped quite a bit.

Interesting problem. Ultimately, the best solution probably lies in making sure all the lower seal gaps are closed, especailly those around the wheel well liners.

Bill
Bill is offline   Reply With Quote