Thread: canadian trip
View Single Post
Old 03-01-2002, 12:07 AM   #3
arknoah

Default Re: canadian trip

Betty,

We've generally gone over the border at Port Huron, because it is less of a hassle than going through Detroit, but clearly, you wouldn't want to drive that far north coming from Indiana.  We've stayed at a Yogi Bear campground about 20 miles from Windsor (we have small kids), and at the other end, we've stayed in the Niagara region, at a Yogi Bear on the Canadian side, and at a KOA on the New York side.  Because we were always going straight through to New England, we have never stopped along the way, nor yet gone up toward Toronto.  I seem to remember seeing signs for camping along the various routes (401, 402, 403, QEW), but never got off the road to check them out.  

I will say that the last time we drove over those road, especially the first two  hours out of Port Huron, the roads were very much in need of repair, and things got very bumpy.  You  may wish to contact the Canadian equivalent of AAA to see about road conditions before you start, and I would also recommend getting a campground guide.  We have  last year's Woodall's book with the Camping World cover so it was cheaper, plus we got the Camping World discount.

Good Luck