View Single Post
Old 11-15-2012, 09:52 AM   #3
TravlinOn

Quote:
Originally Posted by jill4paws View Post
Huntington beach area is beautiful. If you go further south to Edisto beach or Huntington Island the are numerous areas to kayak in the salt marshes. If fact we saw two dolphin, mom & baby feeding there Tuesday. This area is know for kayaking . have a great time.
I agree with the above - both Huntington Beach SP (S. of Myrtle Beach) and Hunting Island SP (E. of Beaufort) are both great. Huntington Beach is newer of the two with nice boardwalk to open ocean but not a lot of trees. Very friendly in my experience. Across from the park, a short distance, is Brookgreen Gardens which imo is a must-see. Myrtle Beach is touristy and Hgy 501 can be horrible on weekends and mid-day traffic. Going farther up on Hgy 17 across the NC line is a little town of Calabash, NC, where if you turn right in the center of town and go a short distance to the New River, you will find some REALLY excellent fresh seafood restaurants.

Hunting Island SP has a lighthouse that is fun but it might be undergoing renovations currently. Lots of trees if I remember correctly, but its been a while since I was there. Call the ranger before going to ask if the biting horseflys are abundant! Beaufort, the city, has the Paris Island Marine bootcamp with lots of Walmarts, fast foods, etc., but the waterfront area has a beautiful park and historical houses with lots of history.

Have fun!