View Single Post
Old 08-24-2012, 07:32 AM   #2
Bill
Site Team

Location: The mountains of Scottsdale, AZ, and the beaches of Maine

I suppose that there might have been some grit in the gas orifice. That would disrupt the gas flow, and the gas-air mixing. When you jostled the oven, it might have dislodged the grit.

Other than that, two possibilities, neither especially likely, but the best I have.

1. The thermocouple position is critical. If the mounting screw is a bit loose, it might have slowly vibrated out of position as you traveled, and your attempts to clean it could have moved it some more. Then when you turned it over, it came back into place. Incidentally, the thermocouple must be fully bathed in the pilot flame - and yes, there is a pilot.

2. As this group discovered a couple weeks ago, proper gas pressure is critical to the operation of the oven. The high pressure in the propane tank is reduced to 11-inches water column by the regulator mounted on the tanks. The stove/range then has a built-in regulator that further drops the pressure to 10-inches water column, mostly to stabilize the pressure. If either regulator is mis-set to too low a value, the oven won't work well. Could the oven's regulator have been mis-set, then reset by the jostling? Possible, though I find it unlikely.

Anyway, I'm glad all is now well.

Bill
Bill is offline   Reply With Quote