View Single Post
Old 06-07-2012, 02:35 PM   #20
clown9644

I solved all of my problems after stepping back and looking at it like the retired Engineer I am.
I bought the Heavy Chain that Tractor Supply sells and used the existing bolts, which in my case are on the inside of the frame just behind the folding part of the hitch. I did add a heavier washer, (just in case) but used the original bolts, after all these TMs had to meet standards when built so figure they are within spec.
Chains were $5.24, and the "links" (5000lb) that you screw together cost me $4.99. I connected the chain (each app 6 inch long) to the original cable using the links which allowed the hooks to reach the Ford's connections and they are crossed under the tongue. I have plenty of slack to allow for tight turns now.
I was not able to find anyone that made longer than 48 inch safety chains as a product. Even the ones that have the longer chain that you bolt to the trailer in the middle uses a small bolt. Go figure I guess.
All is well and I am heading out to Niagara Falls in the mid afternoon and stopping in NY to say hello to my brother (and sponge a meal out of them).