View Single Post
Old 11-16-2011, 02:01 PM   #16
SCBillandJane

I certainly understand why campers with low weight carrying capacity tow vehicles are attracted to Trailmanors. They do promote the light weight, lack of sway, and low frontal area of the Trailmanor. Everyone wants better gas milage. One thing to keep in mind is that a high weight capacity tow vehicle gives you freedom to do the unexpected if you so choose. Several times my type of tow vehicle rated to tow 10,000 pounds has made a difference.
When I was in Alaska there was a side road that was recommended that turned out to be mud and gravel. No way would I have tried it without 4 wheel drive. It turned out to be so smooth that a Corvette could have gone there. I was in Texas at Big Bend National Park in the late spring with temperature above 90 and a 15% grade to the best views in the park. With a high weight capacity tow vehicle I had no trouble. Another time I was in Virginia at a race track watching my son take a drivers lesson in an old BMW. When it broke down, we were able to add them and their stuff to the truck and Trailmanor and drive 7 hours home with no worry. Because the truck and Trailmanor are so stable, my wife asks to drive which makes long trips both possible and desireable. I am the type that worries and would limit my travels with a smaller weight carrying tow vehicle. I could add several more examples in our 50,000 miles of travel towing the Trailmanor where weight capacity made a difference. On 2000 mile trip the difference between towing at 10 mpg versus 15 mpg is $268 at 4 dollars a gallon. I recommend the biggest safety margin possible.
SCBillandJane is offline   Reply With Quote