View Single Post
Old 05-23-2011, 02:23 PM   #5
T and C
TrailManor Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lesherp View Post
We are heading for Vegas in a couple of weeks and are wondering where to camp there. I thought I had seen a post here about places to stay but I can’t find it. I have the worst luck with using search engines. We are meeting friends there and will are looking for other places to visit around there and on the way back home to Oregon. Any suggestions would be appreciated. We will be staying on the road until the heat or homesickness gets to us.
Lesherp,

I am assuming that you meant Las Vegas, NV and Arizona.

While at Las Vegas, DO go down to Hoover Dam. It is pretty impressive. The "hard hat" tour costs $30, but you spend an hour down inside the dam and it is very interesting.

If I were into Las Vegas, I would either look for a KOA or a place listed in Woodall's guide for an RV park.

If you plan to tourist in AZ for a while, of course the Grand Canyon is the biggest draw...with good reason. Everyone should see it, IMHO. There are some interesting things to see around Flagstaff, which is nearby. Cliff dwellings at Walnut Canyon, Ancient Indian ruins. Sunset crater national monument, (an inactive volcano cinder cone you can climb and an ice cave you can enter). A couple of hours east of Flagstaff one finds the Meteor Crater, (impressive), and Petrified Forest national park.

At Phoenix, you can visit the famous architect Frank Lloyd Wright's Taliesen West architectural school.

At Tucson, if you are a military buff, is one of the world's best aviation museums: The Pima Air Museum. From the museum you can go on a bus tour of the aircraft "boneyard" at Davis-Monthan AFB. About 20 miles south at Sahuarita you can tour an Atlas missile silo complete with deactivated Atlas missile.

There's a lot more in AZ. Just a few places I have seen.

Tom

TV 2010 F-150 4.6, factory tow pkg, air bags
T and C is offline   Reply With Quote