View Single Post
Old 12-12-2010, 11:40 PM   #1
ShrimpBurrito
Site Sponsor

Default LED Christmas lights

Since there is a fair amount of discussion here on LED lights, I thought I'd post this question here: has anyone had great success with LED Christmas lights? I love the low energy requirement and the fact you can string a gazillion strings together, but I'm not crazy about spending the premium if they only last a few years before sections of lights die as happens with our incandescent light strands. They usually develop a loose connection somewhere, and sometimes they will come back to life with some shaking, but I don't know where those loose connections are.

Also, I presume the individual replacement LEDs, while probably not nearly as necessary as incandescents, are far from universal, so that could potentially be a problem.

We picked up a set of these to try out (the frost version):
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B002S47W4I

...and I am impressed so far. They are brighter than our incandescents, seem well built, and best of all, only draw about 3 watts for 50 bulbs. Incredible. But they were $17 delivered......quite a bit more than we're used to paying for a string of lights during post-Christmas clearance sales. I don't mind paying something in that ballpark if they are going to give 10-15 years of maintenance free service and I know longer strands are cheaper per bulb, so we'd ideally get those.

Dave
ShrimpBurrito is online now   Reply With Quote