View Single Post
Old 11-03-2010, 08:06 PM   #24
ShrimpBurrito
Site Sponsor

Bill - That's a good suggestion, but I want simplicity. If I buy a generator, I am going to test it, so it's going to have fuel in it which I am going to have to worry about gumming the carbs. I could drain the bowl, but that doesn't get everything out. Stabil is nice, but isn't perfect....I've had carbs gum up using it (have had better luck with Sea Foam). And I have to store it in my already maxed out garage. Plus, it's 2x the price of the inverter, and I don't anticipate ever using it except in an earthquake. Now knowing the 1000W version will run the fridge, I'm getting closer to justifying it to myself, but if a cheaper and less-maintenance-required solution came about that does the trick (the inverter), I'd probably do that instead. I know it's not ideal like a genny, but I'm thinking it would work.

modhatter - Nope, I don't even have a generator, as you probably just read above. The way I was describing was simply with a battery charger, which you would plug into your genny. If you have a later model TM, it may have a converter in it that has a high charge current capacity already, so you wouldn't need anything else.

Someone else here may be able to comment on what that generator outputs through the battery charging ports.

And by the way, although this is probably obvious to you already, if you are boondocking, you're not going to have cable TV. So all this may be a mute point if you don't get a good reception of over-the-air channels, which incidentally does not include CNN or MSNBC.

Dave
ShrimpBurrito is online now   Reply With Quote