View Single Post
Old 10-07-2010, 11:18 AM   #7
Wavery
TrailManor Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShrimpBurrito View Post
BTW, in reference to harveyrv's post, I have never felt the need to lube the drain valves outside the trailer -- just the toilet valve in the bathroom. While any of the valves may be designed for no lube -- the toilet drain valve has a Teflon or nylon gate -- if they are difficult to operate, there is no harm in lubing them. And in the toilet valve case, it seems to be good preventive maintenance in preventing the seal from deforming.

Dave
I agree that there ~may not be any "Harm" in lubricating the seals as long as one uses the proper lubricant. IMO, the chances of damaging the valve by using the wrong lubricant (such as any petroleum based product) is greater than just leaving the valve alone.

I also think that any "Lubricant" is doing more to keep the surface free of damaging debris or hard water deposits than it does actual lubricating.

The best thing that you can to for any valve with a Teflon seal is to work the valve and flush it occasionally to break-up any deposits (including environmental, airborne chemicals). The most harmful thing is to let the material dry out and crack from non-use and exposure (sorta like tires).

The whole concept behind the Teflon product is that it is "Self-lubricating" and never needs additional lubrication. However, it does need to be kept free of harmful substances.