View Single Post
Old 08-16-2010, 02:32 PM   #6
ffyrebird

Quote:
Originally Posted by myersm View Post
My wife and I were camping in RMNP last week... we stayed in the park at the Moraine Campground.. We paid $20 per night to camp there!
Wow, that is a really great price and it sounds so peaceful. Too bad they don't have fullhookups. I could do without electricity, but with six people the Thetford needs dumped almost daily!! Someday we might work our way up to dry camping but right now we are just trying to get the hang of trailer camping instead of staying in a hotel or cabin.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill View Post
There is a Jellystone Park on Rte 36 a few miles south of Estes Park. We have driven through it geocaching, and it looked OK, clean and kid-friendly, and quiet if you can get toward the back, off the road. It really depends on what you want in the way of services, and where you want to be relative to RMNP, the tourist town of Estes Park, and the artsy town of Lyons.

RMNP is beautiful, and so is Moraine Campground. But be aware that there is a ton of hiking and kid-friendly stuff through the whole area. The mountains are just amazing! Consider hiking in the Twin Owls area, and up to Gem Lake at the top (!) of the mountain. Depending on the age of your kids, there is some fun and easy hiking up behind the Stanley Hotel, too.

If your kids are older, consider doing Long's Peak in Longmont. You will probably run into llamas (or are they alpacas?) being used by the Forest Service crews to replenish supplies at various locations.

Bill
Our kids are 12-18 years old. They have been hiking on our CO trips since the youngest could carry a tiny pack so DH and I will probably be the limiting factor in any hike we take !
We were planning on hiking mainly in RMNP, but it looks like now I need to widen the area we were looking at. Sounds like there is a lot to choose from, hiking wise.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Northwoods View Post
We have reservations at Mary's Lake CG. It is now run and operated by Larimer County. Fees are $20 a night. Friends have camped there and have told us the sites are small, but all are drive through. We will be in the park most of the time, so are willing to have a spot to sleep. There is electricity at every site. All of the negative posts regarding this CG were posted in reference when it was under Private Ownership. We will be there Sept. 2 to Sept. 9. We rarely camp in CG with electricity so this will be a novel experience for us. There are shuttle busses to the Park and into town that stop at this campground. Good luck. Northwoods
Mary's Lake was one of the campgrounds I saw on the net, but the negative reviews had me shying away from it. Nice to know it is under new management.