Thread: Vent covers
View Single Post
Old 07-24-2010, 06:49 AM   #8
MisterP

Here is how I have installed MaxxAir covers on two TM's.

Place the loose cover over the existing vent and open and close the vent lid a couple of times so it does not bind.

Without moving the cover use a pencil held vertically to mark the four cover holes onto the trailer roof. This will mark the position of the four brackets that hold the cover onto the trailer.

Now remove the cover and open the vent fully. If putting the cover on your power vent remove the fan by carefully removing the screws and the handle.

Place the cover brackets so they are centered over the markings you made and hold them against the metal frame of the vent (what the vent lid closes onto). Mark the small holes for the mounting holes and drill them carefully with a drill bit the same size as the small mounting screws. The mounting screws go in from the outside with the fender washer, tiny lock washer and nut on the inside of the vent ( which you can do from outside as long as the vent lid is fully open). As you put each bracket on make sure you place a carriage bolt facing up into the slotted bracket hole. This is used to secure the cover.

When all brackets are secure with carriage bolts in, slip the MaxxAir cover over the carriage bolts and install the nuts finger tight. At this point I open and close the vent lid to make sure the cover is not catching anywhere. Then you can tighten the nuts but don't overtighten them because they are tightening onto the plastic cover and will cut right through the plastic. Put the fan together if you took it out.

Enjoy! I find that very heavy rains (normal here in FL) can still splash into the trailer so I usually just crack the vent lid open a bit and the heat will exit.