Thread: Loose Toilet
View Single Post
Old 03-18-2010, 04:47 PM   #5
Bill
Site Team

Location: The mountains of Scottsdale, AZ, and the beaches of Maine

Dave, you've hit everything just right. Let me add only a couple very minor notes.

First, while you are ordering parts, order a replacement Slide-EZ valve kit. It is my experience, and others have reported, that the Slide-EZ valve fails with some regularity. The valve is a thin plastic plate that slides on a paper-thin gasket. Eventually the plate snags the gasket and rips it, and then the toilet seeps down into the dump pipe. You can buy a kit of replacement gaskets and save a little cash, but when you need to do the replacement, it sure is nice to have an entire assembly ready at your fingertips.

Second, I agree with replacing the floor flange gasket - the big foam donut. When you replace it, snug down the plastic wedges REALLY tight. The toilet is very light weight. If you replace the donut, then set the toilet on it, then snug down the wedges just a bit tight - well, you haven't really compressed the gasket. Then when you put weight on the toilet, it compresses the gasket, and woops! Now the toilet is loose. In fact, I don't think it would be a bad idea to have someone sit on the toilet, feet in the tub, while you are sliding the wedges into place.

Bill
Bill is offline   Reply With Quote