View Single Post
Old 11-18-2009, 12:20 PM   #9
Jim&Joan

Quote:
Originally Posted by joe&Nance View Post
Jim & Joan,
Thanks -- are you talking about the fuse in the converter box, or is there an inline one that I don't know about in one of the access panels? As for the led on the rear edge of shell--I didn't notice that. I will again look to see if I see one--I am trying to figure out if there is any way to open it in our driveway, since I have to take it off the street this morning so hopefully that way I can take my time and fix a few things.

Thanks for letting me know these things.
Nance
The fuse is in the converter box panel. It is for the radio circuit. The stock hookup seems to include a FM antenna with a (pre)amplifier that uses power. The FM antenna is mounted to the rear edge of the upper shell on the street side. There is a power indicator red LED that is visible in the middle of the FM antenna. Folks suggest pulling this to prevent this from draining the battery over long storage periods.

If you don't have a radio, it shouldn't matter (I pulled mine). Once you have a radio, many models have memories for station presets, etc. that might require power. I have read a few posts that address this by powering the antenna (pre)amp with a power antenna output from the radio. This would be the connection that would drive up (extend) a power antenna in a car. I am not a car audio expert, but it sounds like this is a common enough situation that many auto radios have this output.

As to the original mention of dead radio wires, I was just thinking maybe to prevent the battery drain, the previous owners might have pulled the fuse which would explain dead wires. Reinstalling (or replacing a blown fuse) would be a simple remedy, eh? And we can all use some of them ;-) (I think it is ACC 1 or third fuse position from the right on my panel.)