View Single Post
Old 08-14-2009, 06:24 AM   #3
Leslie & Nick
TrailManor Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyWDWCampers View Post
I briefly searched and could not find the answer to my question so hear goes... I walked through a new TM a couple weeks ago and the dealer had a microwave installed instead of the oven. I don't see myself using the oven much (tell me if you use yours a ton so I know I am wrong here...) but I can see using the microwave). So, given I can't afford the new TM and we are looking used and many of the used ones have ovens with countertop microwaves, I am wondering as a weight saving technique how hard it would be to remove the oven and put in a microwave instead and would I have to get a special microwave?
We have the conventional propane oven in our TM, and we use it quite a bit, especially in the winter when the extra heat is certainly welcome. What you need to remember is that if you opt for the microwave only, you'll not be able to use it when dry camping (ie no hookups); whereas you'd be able to use the conventional oven as long as you had propane. (You might, however, be able to power the factory installed microwave with a generator when dry camping). We bought a small, inexpensive microwave that we keep on the counter when we need it for something quick. For us, this is a more practical way to go.

Nick
Leslie & Nick is offline   Reply With Quote