View Single Post
Old 07-01-2009, 06:34 PM   #9
Bill
Site Team

Location: The mountains of Scottsdale, AZ, and the beaches of Maine

A couple quick answers - others will chime in with more complete stories.

To my nose, the toilet doesn't stink if you follow the directions. Sometimes you can smell the chemical, but even that is not much. Some people with very sensitive noses say they can smell it - I never do, nor does my wife. You'll have to judge for yourself whether you are in the "sensitve nose" or "no nose" category. But it is nothing like, for example, a pit toilet at a NPS campground - not even close.

If you are a 5'3" woman camping without someone more heavy, then I would advise against one of the slideout models. No matter how I try to deny it, you need a certain amount of physical strength, or weight, to pull the slider out and push it back in. If you have help, of course the story is different - anything goes. The shells, of course, are easy for one person to raise and lower if they are adjusted properly.

Bugs do not get in, any more than they do in your house. In other words, if you leave the door open, they will come in. But that's it.

A bit of dust gets in if you drive dry dusty roads (in the desert, for example). But in that case, it is easily wiped up with a damp cloth.

Cleaning the bathroom is not a chore. Having a dry bathroom (in other words, a real shower enclosure, as opposed to a wet bathroom) is wonderful.

Bunkbeds? Nope. Not going to happen. But the always-made-up front bed in a 2720, for example, is a wonderful thing for kids.

Crawling over the other? Seems to me to be an overblown problem. Since I am a gentleman of a certain age, I have to get up every two hours. So I sleep on the inner side, closest to the bathroom. My wife never gets up, so she sleeps on the outer side. Works fine for us. If you are part of a couple that both have to get up, then that's a different story, I suppose, and I'm pleased that it is not mine. So ask yourself how often you get up during the night at home.

If you often camp without hookups, stay with the standard gas stovetop and oven. They always work, with no hookups, and are a blessing when it's raining and you can't grill outside or have a campfire. If you decide you would like a microwave for the times you are hooked up, then buy an inexpensive one, lightweight, 600 watts or so, from WalMart. Carry it on the dinette seat or on the floor when you travel.

Setup and teardown are much faster than an hour. My wife and I usually figure that from the moment we roll out of bed in the morning, get showered, get dressed, make breakfast, eat breakfast, wash the breakfast dishes, pack up everything we've unpacked the night before, deal with the dog and cat, disconnect the utilities, put away the hoses and cables, dump the tanks, fold down, get rid of the trash, hitch up, check the campsite, and pull out - well, that may take an hour. But we are pretty leisurely when we travel. It can be done much faster.

And setup is faster in the evening when we arrive at a campground, because I know there is a martini waiting for me when it's done. To each his own, of course.

Hope this helps.

Bill
Bill is offline   Reply With Quote