Thread: National Rally
View Single Post
Old 06-25-2009, 07:21 AM   #9
lnussbau

Default A Report

Now that we've been here a few days, I'll make a comment or two. The ABC (America's Best) campground is pretty decent. Nice, air conditioned bathrooms (and no-extra-charge showers) are welcome in the heat and humidity (mid-90's each day, low 70's in morning -- very humid/sticky), but the moderately steep hills within the campground make riding a bike a little chore, either lots of brake on the downhill or 1st gear uphill, with leg strain (we're not marathoners).

Trailmanors everywhere, with an occasional motorhome or other travel trailer mixed in here and there.

Monday night was a hosted cookout: pork, beans, green beans, rolls, etc., very good food. After supper was a "hillbilly contest," with lots of folks dressing up as hillbillies and entertainment provided by The Homestead Pickers, a nominally Bluegrass group (excellent), who did a little music in other styles, with comedy thrown in. It was a fun night.

Tuesday a demo Elkmont and a demo 2720SL arrived. The most important changes in the 2720SL, to me, were the new Carrier air conditioner (much, much quieter -- you can actually hold a conversation without yelling) and the extra electrical outlets: next to the heater on the couch and under the sink next to the control/display panel.

The Elkmont was a little bigger and roomier than I'd expected from the pictures, and was a nice unit, especially for aging knees and legs.

The Trailmini was also a bit roomier than I'd expected from the pictures, though it's still (my opinion) suitable for one person.

Wednesday we caught the bus at 9:00 AM to see Doug Gabriel in Branson -- an outstanding show. In the afternoon we went to see the New Shanghai Circus, drummers and acrobats. They were outstanding for what they do, but my personal taste is such that I love it for about 15-20 minutes, but 2 hours of only that is too long. Obviously not everyone thinks that way, however, and some of the things we saw were amazing, even though DW and I both nearly fell asleep towards the end of the first half -- we badly needed the intermission.

At 6:15 we caught the bus to the Branson Belle Showboat, a paddle wheeler (uses diesel engines, though), for dinner and show. The roast beef and veggies were outstanding, but the cordon bleu was just edible. The entertainment was outstanding, as you might expect, with singers doing show tunes/old favorites and Todd Oliver with his talking dogs (real dogs), a ventriloquist act. He was wonderful, with most of us rolling on the floor during some parts of his routine -- fun all the way through!

And all the entertainment we've seen or heard about is G-rated -- a welcome change.

All in all, except for the humidity (and 90+ temps), it's been a very enjoyable time.