View Single Post
Old 06-01-2009, 04:15 PM   #2
Bill
Site Team

Location: The mountains of Scottsdale, AZ, and the beaches of Maine

I think you've got a winner. As I recall, RockyMtnRay started with 600-pound springbars, and was not pleased - too springy, I think. I have a 1200-pound hitch, which is clearly overkill. It is what the dealer happened to have in stock on the day I picked up my TM back in 2001, and he had made a mad rush to accommodate my schedule. And one of our members - Lars, I think - has pointed out the enormous strain that a too-stiff hitch puts on the frame of the vehicle when you drive through a ditch or a swale.

Consensus on this board seems to be that 800 or 1000 pound bars are just right for any model TM. And $180 including shipping is a good price. The only question is whether you have a swing tongue - then springbar length may enter the equation.

One question. The text of the eBay ad mentions "straight bars", which agrees with the picture. But it also says "dual sway control". I can't speak for sure, but I thought that dual cam sway control implied bent tips on the bars - it certainly does on Reese and DrawTite hitches. Do you care about adding dual cam sway control? Probably not. By the way, the text of this ad was taken from an ad on Amazon.com, which also mentions "dual sway control". I can't find a reference to sway control any other place, although I do find some pictures that seem to have a separate friction sway control as part of the kit.

So otherwise, go for it!

Bill
Bill is offline   Reply With Quote