View Single Post
Old 05-18-2009, 11:17 AM   #3
Wavery
TrailManor Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill View Post
Allen -

Have you tried tightening the corner latches? If they are quite loose, it might allow the shells to move more than they should. Sorry, can't think of anything that specifically needs to be lubed in that area.

If it were me, I would probably just take a shotgun approach. Using a can of Teflon dry lube from Lowes (Item #: 213197), lube something, see if it helps, lube something else, etc. Eventually you'll find the source. In the meantime, the Teflon lube won't hurt anything as long as you keep it off any fabric. I like the Teflon better than silicone lubes because I think it is cleaner and the Teflon sticks better. But for a shotgun approach, the silicone might work just as well.

Bill
Where the Teflon spray is 300% better than WD40 for lubricating, WD40 is sometimes better for locating and "temporarily" eliminating the squeak.

WD40 is mostly cleaning solvents and most squeaks are caused by small particles being trapped in moving parts (that's why it works so well on door hinges). WD40 has a small amount of residual lubricant but it doesn't last long.

It may be a good idea to use the WD40 to locate and clean the squeak then use the Teflon (after the WD40 evaporates) to actually lubricate the area.