View Single Post
Old 05-01-2009, 04:23 PM   #12
Mr. Adventure
TrailManor Master

My Toyota Highlander has a transmission temp warning light, and the Sienna probably does too. If so, then you could just keep an eye on it, and see if it ever lights on some hot day adventure in August. Most important for me in the decision would be if the factory towing package provides anything different for the transmission cooler, and I'd expect the dealer people to be able to match the stock numbers, and know the answer.

As for how much to tow, I'm a real big fan of trailers that weigh less on the road than their tow vehicles. So I travel a lot lighter with my TrailManor than I used to when I had heavier RV's, largely because of the hassles I used to have when I had heavier Rv's.

The weight distributing hitch is darned important for darned near everybody for 2 reasons: 1) it keeps you from overloading the rear axle (one of our posters discovered 700# on the rear axle in his pickup from just a 480# hitch weight) and 2) it keeps you from unloading the front axle, where most braking and all steering happens.
Prodigy brake controller.

"It's not how fast you can go, it's how fast you can stop an RV that counts."
Mr. Adventure is offline   Reply With Quote