Thread: Swim Noodles...
View Single Post
Old 03-02-2009, 11:51 AM   #2
photoadjuster

Default Plumbing Noodles

I am living in my TM here in kentucky. I am an insurance adjuster working ice claims. For the past few weeks is has been cold, cold , cold.

I could not find the swimming noodles anywhere so I picked up some pipe insulation at Lowes. They work perfectly. There are two styles. One is split so it will slip over a pipe. The other is not completely split and is the one you want. There are different sizes for different size pipe and are 6ft long. The one for a 1" pipe is the best fit. The cost for a 6 ft piece is less than $ 2.00. I installed them on all three sides of the bed, and down both sides of the slide out. There are now no air leaks.

I used the same ones to insulate the water hose. Since it is not split, I slid it over the hose with an electric heat tape and taped the joints. Living full time in a TM without water was not good. Insulating the water hose with a heat tape stopped the hose from freezing. The temps have been down in the low teens many a night. I intend to leave the pipe insulation and electric heat tape attached to the hose and just pickup a second hose to use in non-winter times.

I am using two 1500 watt electric heaters instead of burning propane. The TM can not run both heaters, two computers, two printers, two desk lights, photo charges, coffee pots, microwave,toaster, etc. It blows a 30 amp breaker. I ran a extension cord to a second 30 amp service and divided the current load in half. Every thing is good.

To keep the bathroom warm enought to use and to stop the shower faucet from freezing, I picked up a 12 volt automotive clip on fan. By clipping it on to the top of the bathroom wall the heat from the main body of the trailer moves into the bathroom.

The TM was not designed to use in extremely low temps, but a few small changes have provided a very comfortable home away from home.