View Single Post
Old 12-01-2008, 05:48 PM   #2
rumbleweed

Red face Roof leak

I had several leaks on my new 2720SL that manifested themselves on the trip home from the dealer. They are very difficult to locate as the actual spot of the leak and where the water enters the interior of the TM can be some distance apart. I am guessing that a leak in the side to molding seam is not the culprit. I would look for the leak in the top to molding seam. To make it even harder to find, the caulk can appear to be fine but is actually not adhered to the roof but just sitting in place and water is wicking under it. Take a hair dryer on no heat and carefully work your way along the roof molding seam blowing at an angle to the seam. Look for moisture being blown out from under the caulk or the caulk flapping ( vibrating) in an area. That usually means one or both surfaces of the caulk is no longer adhered to the TM. Cut out the caulk 2-3 inches extra on both sides of flaw. Clean with paper towel and alcohol and let dry. If you can see dirt under tha caulk once it is removed, you most likely have the spot. Re-caulk. I used Dow 5200, It is tricky to work with and once cured hard to get off, but if you are careful and prep the surface well you will never have an issue in that spot again. I finally re-caulked the entire roof on my TM and no issues. Remember the leak can be some distance from where it comes out on the window. If you wash the curtains and air dry them before they dry on their own, you should not get water stains. If you can, dry them installed on the window so they don't shrink.