View Single Post
Old 10-22-2008, 12:04 AM   #32
B_and_D
Site Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by harveyrv View Post
What are the Adco kits made from? Have you tried leather? You can get soft pliable leather from most fabric shops and it is very chafe resistant. I used to own a Marine Canvas business. That's what I used on all chafing points and it was quite successful in most applications.
The Adco kits are the material type that you order, they have 3 different kinds. I ordered the same type that our trailer cover is made from.

There are so many different places that the cover chafes; leather sounds good, but it's heavy, and retains water, thereby promoting rust at certain points. The Adco patches retain no water and are very light and easier to sew than the leather (plus they are much less expensive). I think my order was less than $15.

If I lived in a dry climate, leather would make sense, but we have wet winters here and fog during the summer, and the TM is prone to rust in some (but not all) of the spots that need reinforcing. The longer we have the cover, the more spots appear with tears and wearing.

Our cover is wonderful, and I think that if we keep patching, it will last another 3 or 4 years. It's nice to wash & scrub the TM, put the cover on, and be able to take it off with a nice, clean TM ready to tow.