View Single Post
Old 10-02-2008, 12:01 AM   #20
ShrimpBurrito
Site Sponsor

In gazing at the tongue today, I came up with what I think is a MUCH better way in attaching the safety chain.

The tongue is just 2 pieces of steel channel that make a "Y". The channel of course is hollow. I'm thinking about drilling a hole dead-center through the side of the channel, all the way from the outside of the tongue to the inside of the tongue (thus, actually drilling 2 holes). Then use the biggest bolt that will fit through a chain link, and slip it in the first hole so that you see the bolt while looking down through the channel. Slip the chain inside the channel, and then feed the bolt through the second hole. Put a washer and a nylock nut on the bolt, and just snug it up lightly, as you don't want to collapse the channel. Do this to both pieces of channel that make up the tongue.

This way, the chain is anchored at TWO spots, AND each spot would require the bolt to actually break in half in order to fail.

Thoughts? Comments? I've attached a crude drawing.

Dave
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	TMTongue.jpg
Views:	81
Size:	155.8 KB
ID:	2994  
ShrimpBurrito is offline   Reply With Quote