View Single Post
Old 08-10-2008, 06:43 AM   #3
Mr. Adventure
TrailManor Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patricia View Post
I have a smaller SUV, which has a tow limit of 3500 pounds. Because of the 3500# limit, I am only looking at the 2619 or any of the 2720 models. My question is what is a practical weight to allocate for all of the miscellaneous stuff that one needs when using the TM for the big trip? Also, I am interested in the solar panels and want to know how much weight they add.
We've had a lot of these conversations in this forum, and there are as many good perspectives on this as there are different ways that people use TrailManors. I recommend that you join the forum so that you have full access to this wonderful library of stuff.

Turning to your direct question, the stuff you choose to carry is your own decision, and you'll make it differently than other prople do. You don't mention where you're from, but many Westerners use their TM's for camping out in the desert or up in the mountains. Camping in the boondocks requires that you bring water, food, and whatever recreational equipment you need. These weekends can weigh many hundreds of pounds more than a trip to a campground with hookups in Pennsylvania. If you're camping with hookups, there's no need to have a generator, the water's at a tap at the campsite so you need travel with only minimal water, there's no place to ride a 4 wheel off road vehicle if you owned one, and you're more likely to be in places that also have restaurants and stores so there's no need to carry extra stuff to cover for remote possibilities in remote places.

We also find that 3500# means something different to different manufacturers. If you want us to help you through the math, tell us a little more about your tow vehicle and maybe we can make a few suggestions. I recommend reading your owner's manual and the TrailManor web site. Occasional use for towing is a different kind of durability load on your tow vehicle than it would be for the people who make 5000 mile trips every year.

The trailer tongue weights are heavy, so most of us shouldn't even think about towing a TrailManor without a weight distributing hitch.
Prodigy brake controller.

"It's not how fast you can go, it's how fast you can stop an RV that counts."
Mr. Adventure is offline   Reply With Quote