View Single Post
Old 07-19-2008, 09:33 AM   #19
Scott O

If I might take this thread on a bit of a detour...If I understand the 'innards' of the Thetford, the waste drops into some sort of screen cone basket. The solids remain while the liquids are free to roam about the tank. When the plug is pulled (and I assume the drain hole is in the bottom of the basket) the pressure causes the basket to empty, along with all the liquids in the tank. A quick rinse would get rid of any lingering waste. That is why the 'woosh' is needed, the pressure helps to drain the tank of all waste. If this is correct, then those of us who use things like the Sewer Solution (which by the way I completely love) are asking for trouble since the tank is emptied at a much slower rate - a 1 1/2" hose instead of a 3" hose. But maybe the pressure is enough when the inside gate is opened which allows the solids to go into the large pipe and stop at the outside gate??? Other opinions/thoughts on this would be appreciated, and if this is too off-topic Don feel free to move it to a new thread. Boy, it is going to be a bad day when I start off contemplating holding tanks...