View Single Post
Old 07-18-2008, 09:28 AM   #13
ShrimpBurrito
Site Sponsor

When I pulled the toilet up, with the instructions presented by Bill and others on this site guiding me, I found that one of the seals in between the toilet and the floor was in rough shape. Compared to the new replacement seal, it wasn't flexible and was deformed, so seemingly some environmental factors made it that way. I don't know if that is what you'd consider dried out or not.

I don't see any reason why bleach would help break down solids. Bleach is simply chlorine, which is a disinfectant. But its effectiveness as a disinfectant actually lessens when the concentration gets too high. If I recall correctly from my lab days, the optimal concentration is 10%. Less is more. Second, you may just give yourself a problem with chlorine gas, which is deadly at fairly low concentrations. But it is quite detectable though.

I personally don't have a problem with odor using the blue-capped Thetford product, at least until maybe after 4 days of continual full-time use of 2 adults with temps in the 80s. But even then, the odor is only when you lift the lid. If you have odors before then, you may have a bad or misplaced seal, either the one around the lid or the one in between the top seat assembly and the base. You could replace or reseat both in about 10 minutes tops.

Dave
ShrimpBurrito is online now   Reply With Quote